Monday, December 15, 2014

Sorry I've been neglecting this blog, but now it's time to explain what I've been working on. For the last few months I've been working hard on a tech and style demo for an adventure game called Queens of the Shadowy Realms, for PC/Mac, browser and possible IOS/Android down the road.

It's hard to discuss the plot yet, in part because it hasn't all been finalized yet, and in part because what I do know about the plot could be spoiled really easily. For now, it's safe to say it's the story of a little ghost girl living in some sort of eerie limbo, who discovers realms beyond her own, as well as a way to intrude into the world of the living.


It has taken quite some time to get the art style down, but I think I've got an approach now that feels fresh. I've decided to make everything noticeably hand drawn and animated- even though the environment and engine are 3D, I've tried to keep a pencil-drawn look going on the textures and character animations.



It's inspired by a bunch of different sources, one being a Playstation title called Toonenstein developed by one of my old employers, TerraGlyph Interactive, back in the late 90's. There's also a lot of inspiration from Miyazaki's Spirited Away, as well as the influence of having read a lot of Sandman comics back in the day. There's also the inevitable Lovecraft influence, some Norse Mythology, a certain mid-80's music video that shall not be named, and a dash of Wikipedia Gnosticism.

The demo is pretty rough right now- you can navigate between a few partially decorated rooms, add and remove bject from your inventory and trigger a result when solving one puzzle. My hope, after fleshing out the design docs further, would be to add enough content to attempt a Kickstarter campaign. Of course, since my plans don't include Zombies, voxel graphics or rogue-like elements, failure is almost certain.

Check out the link- there's a playable build on the project's GameJolt page. Like I said it's very early, but I'll keep posting updated versions as I get them stable.

No comments:

Post a Comment